Wednesday, April 8, 2009

24. additional primary research- symbolic jewellery

Over last weekend I found a cool MET Store jewellery making kit at a garage sale and bought it merely to try working with the beads included in the kit to replicate ancient jewellery.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I made a couple of things from following the instruction booklet and the versions of the original designed by the author. It was fun and I really liked the bold collar pieces on the cover.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The little introduction booklet about the history of Egyptian jewellery and states that jewellery was a basic component of one's outfit back in those times no matter their status or gender. "Wearing jewellery enhances the wearer's appearance with it own beauty" and the Egyptians' theory went much deeper as they believed jewellery was not just symbolic, but had magical powers "that connected then with a richly divine and spiritual world. Amulets were worn for protection or good luck or to heighten some characteristics of the wearer.

The information I found was relevant to my first and second projects as I was working with bits of metals from Edward Scissorhands and the designs I had created for project two which were details of placement design I proposed. Then I went to the National Museum of Singapore, where I found antique Asian jewellery which had a a similar significance to the Egyptians' in the Photography gallery- "Framing the Family".

These are what I found:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Child's bracelet with charms and Muslim rosary 1900s, silver.




Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Chaping 1900s
silverwork
Southeast Asian decorative piece worn by very small children. It is hung with a silverchain from the waist. These pieces are from British Malaya.
__

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Necklaces with Amulets
Early to mid 20th century in gilt silver and silver
In early Singapore, infant mortality rates were high. Babies were seen to be vulnerable and very precious, especially for the wealthier families. Their parents put an amulet on them against evil.
__
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Pending (Belt buckle) 1900s
silver
The eye-shaped pending worn on cloth belts by the Malays was a design inspired by the Thais during the 14th century.


I sketched the objects in the museum..
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments:

Post a Comment