Friday, April 10, 2009

22. garment silhouettes

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

on designing the garments and textiles I didn't necessarily reference every technique I had tried and final designs and created to the designer and muse research. This project made a lot of sense to me because Erin has turned into my favourite style icon and its been an overwhelming bank of mental pictures I've been collecting over the last few months. It's the reason why I chose Edward Scissorhands as the theme for my first project- all that leather and chains and studs are so relevant to street style, in runway shows particularly evident in proenza schouler, givenchy, Christopher Kane's fw07, Alexander w, and diesel. I've been intrigued by the whole mishmash of punk studs, fetishistic leather, going all black in an outfit and having several types of textures combined. I think what I tried to achieve in this second project was that whole textural quality a print cannot achieve which I felt was amiss in the Edward project. I finally figured out why I did what I had done from all that experimentin with different threads, fabrics and beads/garnish.I wanted a single piece of textile to have different textures because Erin usually wears just 1 piece in her outfit with some kind of a) embellishment- studs, beadwork; b)destroyed fabrics with shredded knit tees, cut off denim shorts and viciously slashed jeans with some kind of raw quality; c) thin translucent fabrics for singlets, tees, blouses. Because Erin reveals much of her skin on an average day, I worked on that peek-a-boo effect. The textiles I created would seem rather subtle on a piece of garment as they are rather small-scaled and are usually tone on tone. However the four designs are unique to themselves in that I have tried to use different techniques and materials for different garment types. They are hand sewn/stitched therefore it is different from fashion items found on the high street (although there could be handmade items but they are probably produced in sweat shops). My hands are not very crafty as yet but this is where I've taken it all over these 2 weeks doing this project and a week's sewing.

The tiny images in each image attached arent equations but attempt to show the relevance of what I have research on and what I've created.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us---------------------------------------------------------------
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
---------------------------------------------------------------

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
---------------------------------------------------------------
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments:

Post a Comment